Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wisdom of G.K. Chesterton

Though my birthday is still a few days away I received the most wonderful book of reflections from my dear friend, Martha. (You might remember her from my entry on friendship in May this year). I have always love G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown Mysteries. Now, I am so delighted with this gift that I have to share today's reflection with you from the "Wisdom of G.K. Chesterton".

Levity and Levitation

Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly. This has always been the instinct of Christendom, and especially the instinct of Christian art. Remember how Fra Angelico represented all his angels, not only as birds, bu almost as butterflies. Remember how the most earnest medieval art was full of light and fluttering draperies, of quick and capering feet...In the old Christian pictures the sky over every figure is like a blue or gold parachute. Every figure seems ready to fly up and float about in the heavens. The tattered cloak of the beggar will bear him up like the rayed plumes of the angels. But the kings in their heavy gold and the proud in their robes of purple will all of their nature sink downward, for pride cannot rise to levity or levitation. Pride is the downward drag of all things into an easy solemnity. One "settles down" into a sort of selfish seriousness; but one has to rise to a gay self-forgetfulness. A man "falls" into a brown study; he reaches up at a blue sky. (ORTHODOXY)

REVIVE THE SPIRIT
For thus says the high and lofty one
who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
I dwell in the high and holy place,
and also with those who are contrite and humble in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the humble,
and to revive the heart of the contrite.
Isaiah 57:15

PRAYER
Holy God, bear us upward toward you. Make our spirits
lighter, more joyful. Teach us how to live without fretting,
without the anxieties that so often obscure our view
of you in your high and holy place, that heaven which is
our true home.

ADVENT ACTION
If you live near an art museum, plan a day trip there and spend an hour or more
in the medieval section. if not, find art books at a local library or search the internet
for images of great art. As you look at the painting, consider what Chesterton
says about the lightness, the "gay self-forgetfulness" of some of the figures. Try
to appreciate the art while also opening yourself to it as a mode for devotion.
~~~~~~~

I hope you find this to be a source of reflection you might find as useful and uplifting as I have found it to be. Gee, aren't birthdays grand!!!

~~~~~~~
Thanks be to God!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I have never read Chesterton so I must remedy that.

    I keep forgetting to buy his books. I wonder why they are not prominent even in Catholic book shops?

    What a lovely friend you have to give you such a beautiful present.

    Peace & JOY to you:)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case for sure the reason I have not read G.K. is because I FORGET to look...If I'm not mistaken his works come in "volumes". Martha has always had the gift of choosing just the right book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know what? I just visited Amazon.com and there are oh so many of G.K.'s works available...DUH! I think, perhaps, Martha was just whetting my appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful post & blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the same series, my family and I are working our way through Pope John Paul II's Advent thoughts.

    O onionboy.ca {arts & fath} luminousmiseries.ca {faith & art}

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.