Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Favorite School Teacher

When I think back on all the teachers who have influenced me the most in my life, I think of my third grade teacher, Miss Spalding, first. A little background. I spent 1st and 2nd grade at St. Mary's School. During the year I was in 2nd grade, parish boundaries changed to establish a new parish that would have to parochial school and we lived in the boundaries of the new parish. As a result the next school year, I would be attending public school. I really loved St. Mary's School and the sisters that taught there, especially Sister Michael Clair, a Sister of Saint Joseph.

This frightened child, shy and really knowing no one at the school, had to walk into this 3rd grade classroom without knowing a soul. Rumor had it that I was getting the meanest teacher in the school and if she would become angry with you that meant she didn't like you. This was who Miss Spalding was.

At that time I realized how gullible I really am...I can't change that. I still am. But then I believed everything I was told. Miss Spalding was indeed daunting. A large lady who carried herself with dignity. She had control and command of the class from the time she entered the room in the morning until we left in the afternoon.

Why was she so good? Because she cared. Reprimands were meant to encourage not demean. She didn't single anyone out. She had no "teacher's pet." All were treated fairly. She gave us lessons in art history. She taught us writing skills by allowing us to expand our imaginations. Art had purpose it wasn't used to kill time. "Times tables" were serious lessons not just something that had to be done. Spelling was not a necessary evil but a skill that was to be used in communication. She loved her work. And only after that year did I really come to appreciate how good she was to me.

My sister Rita had her in school as well. My brother Tom began his 3rd grade year with her but tragically she died and Tom did not have the benefits of all her talents and skills as a teacher. God blessed me with someone who knew the value of an education and took each of us individually to task so that we could be the best we could be. Miss Spalding really deserved an A+ from all her students...

~~~+~~~

For Miss Spalding and all dedicated
teachers,

Thanks be to God!!!

For more favorite teacher stories visit Catholic Teacher Musings.

18 comments:

  1. What a touching tribute Cathy! So sad that she died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds us to say thank you, often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy:)
    you were much blessed. Sadly I wasn't. I had teachers who positively hated me..Though my teachers did refer to me as the 'quiet rebel.'

    I spent most of my school life being told by my various teachers that I was a dumb cluck because I never did grasp mathematics and still dont!

    But your post makes me glad that there are dedicated teachers out there who uplift children without demeaning them.

    Peace to you always:)

    Marie xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made my eyes well up too (as did Kim's)
    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing that wonderful story about your favorite teacher. It was very thoughtful. I have had a few special teachers in my life and the one that has touched me the most is a very good friend today. :) It's amazing how the Lord puts those special people in our lives at such a young age to help teach us, and mold us..and be a friend.....thanks again...God Bless!! Thanks for your comment by the way. :) Very encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that one got me in the heartstrings! What a lovely post for Miss Spalding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She sounds like my sister, who teaches first grade in parochial school,though.

    As per the St. Joes, I had them in high school and then in College (Chestnut Hill in Phila) (after elementary school with the IHMs - (**shudder**). The Sisters of St. Joseph are what I call real women, and the best teachers ever. God bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful memory you have! It made me stop and think about some of my past teachers...and other adults that influenced my life! I just caught up on some of your past posts....what a fun blog!

    Juri

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless Miss Spalding! Isn't it amazing how someone who touches our lives like that still lives so clearly in our memories? I remember some of my best teachers from over 35 years ago, just like I saw them yesterday! This was a wonderful tribute, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all have to know how much you have all touched my life, as well. Instruction comes in many forms and there is not one of you that has not taught me something! God bless and KEEP you all! Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely story, beautifully related :0)
    Funnily enough my daughter goes to a school called St Mary's too!
    Her class teacher is her favourite so far, because as she tells me "she is strict, but totally fair and we all know she really cares alot about us"
    I think that sums up what makes a great teacher.
    Many Blessings to you today :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it interesting that so many of our favorite teachers were grade school teachers? It just shows that those formative years are so incredibly important.

    Hooray to Miss Spalding and all teachers like her.

    Blessings, and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was indeed a very touching tribute to someone who left an indelible mark upon your life. You were very fortunate to have had a Miss Spalding in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot when I posted before that the reason I stopped by was that I saw your comment at "My Life's" blog, about losing your dog, Duke.

    I lost my little dog, BooBoo earlier this year, who was 14; and we lost our Chow last year who was also 14. When you have a pet for so many years, it leaves a huge hole in your home, your family, and your heart. I just wanted to tell you how very sorry I am about Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is amazing that even after xx amount of years, a person can recall those that really touched their lives. My wish is that someday someone posts a blog about that nurse who really made an impact on their life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. not for publication..St Patrick's Cathedral is Protestant..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jackie, I know St. Pat's in Dublin is not Catholic...but just to have been at the site where he had been baptizing is a grand experience. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post Cathy! My father was a teacher,for over 40 years.Sometimes i meet one of the "how many" children who sat in his classroom.He was a wonderful teacher. Now ,one of my daughters is a teacher,and she is just as great as her grandfather was.Unfortunately my father did not live lang enough to see his granddaughter teach..he would be so proud! And you know that this was the daughter who never liked school!! It was a complete drama every day ,she would cry for at least an our in the classroom!And now school is her favorite place to be..lol!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.