Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reconciliation


Chalice
Originally uploaded by geerlingguy
I had just visited Suzy at Sailing by Starlight tonight before evening Mass. I was struck by the clarity of the words written and how important it was for me again to focus on grooming my inner self. It's not for me to worry about how I appear on the outside. But it is important for me to concern myself with the "me-within."

Much to my delight, or chagrin depending on how YOU might look at it, in today's Gospel Jesus speaks directly to us and the "me-within." Listen.


"Woe to you...hypocrites. You cleanse the outside of cup and dish,
but inside [you] are full of plunder and self-indulgence...Cleanse
first the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may be clean."
(Matthew 23)




That's me. Goodness knows I should go to confession more frequently. But excuses arise all the time. Tonight I was spoken to again in the Words of Our Lord. Cleanse yourself in the graces of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. "Cleanse the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may be clean." Amen!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!!!

4 comments:

  1. I know many Catholics do not go to Reconcilliation for various reasons, but I go. (only once a year) A priest told me that we will increase our ability to forgive (a thousand fold) if we allow our ourselves to be forgiven through the sacrament of reconcilliation. I find this to be true. I should go more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think there are many who will only realise the weight of sin and guilt once they've been relieved of it by going to Confesssion. I mean those words of absolution - the slate wiped clean - the cup cleansed on the inside - how wonderful is that. God's mercy is a marvellous thing.
    Thanks Cathy, - and Suzy.
    What Laura says here is something I haven't heard before, but now I think about it I find it true too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reconcilliation has become something really important for me. It's so stabilising, it gives clarity. I find it softens me toward myself and others.
    Thanks for this reflection :0)
    Love and Blessings to you
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to be spoken to like that. When I receive a gift like that, I feel like I am his only daughter in the world...that he set out to prune my soul just before he allowed me to bloom from the fruit of his word given to me.
    I love that you recognize those little things (really they are huge!) I too work on ignoring my temptations to spend time worrying about how I look, or better yet...I how others perceive me by the way I look. For this reason I have been buying clothes at the thrift store and picking what ever is cheap and fits, even if I don't really like it. It is a penance for me and an act of mortification.. for the good kind of humility, for me personally anyway. I have rid myself of my old desires of appearing polished on the outside, when my soul was tarnished and dull. I go to confession every chance I get....sometimes every week. The grace I receive is priceless and the strength I get to try to avoid even venial sins has lead me to desire only to serve him and not this world.
    Everyone should go to confession as often as they can, it is a gift...just wait and see the rewards.

    I love, love your thoughts and wisdom...thanks so much for sharing this. I needed to hear it from a good buddy like you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.