Thursday, October 09, 2008

Praying with St. Paul...


Nothing Missing
Father John Dominic Corbel, OP

"May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lor be with all of you."
~2Thessalonians 3:16~

Sunday afternoons in the fall were my father's favorite time. They were set aside for the Cleveland Browns. In those years the Browns had Fran Ryan, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, and of course, the Great Jimmy Brown taking care of business. These afternoons were peaceful times for me. Not because there wasn't excitement or suspense or the occasional disappointment. There was plenty of that. But no matter how tight the game became I always knew that between the Browns and my father there was nothing missing. Everything necessary was in place to bring us victory.

Could you compare a Sunday afternoon's football game with the peace of the Lord? Sunday is the Sabbath. It is the day the Lord looked out on the world he had made and said that it was very good. There was nothing missing.

When the Apostle prays that the Lord of peace may give us his peace, he is praying that the Lord who is complete goodness in whom there is nothing missing who lacks for nothing, may communicate to us that same security and completion.

This prayer that the Lord may give us peace at all times and in every way can't be granted to us in this life if we mean by peace the actual experience of the invulnerable serenity and infinite perfection that belongs to God as God. But all the same, we know in faith that there is nothing missing. The Lord is with us and so, even if we are hungry or thirsty, if we are in trouble, or even if our favorite football team is losing again, or if we face hunger or nakedness or the sword, still there is nothing missing. We have what we need to win eternal life. Everything. The Lord is with us. There is nothing missing

Lord Jesus, our lives are often full of stress and it is often hard to
feel your presence with us. Help us to know that you have given us
everything we need to be joyful with you for ever.

Nothing left to be said! Have a Peace-filled day!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice post, love the picture as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite motto for a long time now is - everything is in perfection according to God's plan. I have to remind myself this quite often since moving from the Philippines to the UK. It's quite challenging to be myself and express my faith and beliefs out in the open because I work and come in contact with people who do not even believe the existence of God - and the mere mention of God offends them. Sigh. But I suppose even that is in perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tracy. I really feel inspired by most of the offerings in this book.

    Joy, I agree. It has to be God's plan...sometimes we aren't crazy about the plan, but then I recall in the Garden of Gethsemane our Lord really didn't want to suffer either. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mrs. Cathy, for your post! It turned out to be the perfect pick-me-up.

    um, I hope you don't mind that I tagged you for a meme?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerful message here, Cathy. When we have God we have everything!
    Considering all the that's happening globally at the present time, I can't think of any time more important than now to promote that message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Cy and Jackie...though I can take no credit for the words and wisdom.

    To you, Ann, I say AMEN! I truly agree. God at the CENTER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that when you have prayed for a spiritual Gift then behave as if you have received it.

    If you pray for JOY be joyous inspite of your circumstances. If you pray for peace begin with yourself and be at peace with all. If you pray for perseverence then persevere through tough times..with a smile.

    Wonderful reflection thanks Cathy:)

    Marie xooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed,Marie, I agree whole-heartedly. We are hypocrites if we do anything else. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.