Monday, March 16, 2009

The Luck of the Irish To All This Day...

The Eye of God over Dublin
12/2005



Lets begin the day with a wee bit of Irish humor. Here is a delightful Irish tale sent me by my dear friend Juliene O'Dowd West. Sure and isn't it all true!


On a vacation in Rome, I noticed a marble column in St. Peter's with a golden telephone on it. As a young priest passed by, I asked who the telephone was for. He told me it was a direct line to Heaven, and if I'd like to call, it would be a thousand dollars. I was amazed, but declined the offer.

Throughout Italy, I kept seeing the same golden telephone on a marble column. At each, I asked about it and the answer was always the same: a direct line to Heaven and I could call for a thousand dollars.

On the way homeward, I stopped in Ireland . I decided to attend Mass at a local village church. When I walked in the door I noticed the golden telephone. Underneath it there was a sign stating: "DIRECT LINE TO HEAVEN 25 cents." "Father, " I said, "I have been all over Italy and in all the cathedrals I visited, I've seen telephones exactly like this one. But the price is always a thousand dollars. Why is it that this one is only 25 cents?"

The priest smiled and said,

"Ah! But you're in Ireland now! It's a local call."

+
~~+++~~
+


Now if you'll be willin' to walk a bit, we'll take a quick tour of Dublin City.



Dublin Skyline by Day



St. Patrick's Cathedral...


and where the good saint baptized.


You can have a grand walk about the city's center.


And end the evening on a bridge over the River Liffey
enjoying the twinkling lights.

~~~~*~~~


I've no pictures of food
or table settings to boot
but a limerick I do have to share.
No day is complete without one.
So I hope you'll be enjoyin' this'n.

***
'Tis famous the food of Killarney,
As tasty and fresh as sweet Blarney
Know well it is nice
When served fast on ice,
Gourmets shriek for Chili con Kearney.

Published by Peter Pauper Press
White Plains, NY



~~~*~~~

And may God be with ye
this day and always!

Thanks be to God!

When all is said and done it's a true delight to visit Kathleen Cuisine today to see the wonder of all that can be seen in other little corners of the world!


23 comments:

  1. Oh how I'd love to stroll about Dublin and other parts of Ireland. I enjoyed your tour. May the luck of the Irish be upon you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your joke, tour and limerick!
    Thanks for coming to the party!
    I just made 6 more loaves of bread for the neighbors..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy did I enjoy stopping here! I grew up having Irish priests in my parish and we always had Saint Patty celebrations. Love the decorations and music! I wanna go to Ireland now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the joke Kathy. Beautiful picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I hope to someday visit Ireland. It's second in line after Rome, but after reading your joke, we may have to go to Ireland first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the tour you gave us..one of the places I must visit before I get too old!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this so much. I would love to go to Dublin some day and to tour Ireland. How beautiful it must be! Loved the Irish humor, and I wish you all the best for a glorious St. Patrick's Day! Off to tour the rest of Katheleen's Party...

    Erin go braugh!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat this St. Patrick's Day...a tour of Ireland. Wonderful post! ;-) Bo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo of where St. Patrick baptised many. Thanks so much for this uplifting post, Cathy, and may you have a much Blessed St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to Ireland, but always dreamed of going. I hope to before I die - but then, if I've been a good boy, after death I'll be heaven-bound and make it to Ireland anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post my dad's from Dublin..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I would love to go to Ireland and partake of all the food and fair...Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy St Patrick's! I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love'd the photos of Ireland. I'd love to go there someday. I loved your joke. Too cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, Cathy! Loved the tour of Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh this is so lovely!! I also really enjoy the music playing on your blog.. Happy St. Patrick's day to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, wow! Thanks for the tour, Cathy! Blessings on the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A cute post! Thank you for sharing it with all of us at Kathleen's party.

    Happy St. Patrick's day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures and I love your music.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A nice tour, I'd say. So glad we have a direct line to Heaven, toll free! Not only that, but we have no need for luck because God supplies all our needs according to the riches that are in Christ. Praise Him! God bless you this day and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely blogsite and what a nice job you've done on it. The photos reminded me of our visit many years ago to Ireland when both my mother and husband were still alive...we tried unsucessfully, to find family, but it was wonderful.

    blessings,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  22. To be sure, I couldn't go to bed tonight until I said "Happy St. Patrick's Day" to you.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.