Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Patron Saint's Day

Saint Catherine of Siena
Photo by Lawrence, OP


I have the privilege of being named after Saint Catherine of Siena. Today is her feast day and every year I am again pleased to remember this woman of God was chosen for me by my parents. She was gifted in many ways. I'm proud to be "Catherine."

"Your neighbors are the channel
through which your virtues are tested
and come to birth...just as those
who are evil give birth to all their vices
through their neighbors."

Catherine, born in 1347, was 23rd child (a twin) of Jacopo and Lapa Benicasa of siena. When she came of age, her parents wanted her to marry but she insisted that she was betrothed to Christ. In anger, her parents insisted that she act as a servant to the rest of the family. Finally, her father relented and she was allowed to follow her mystic calling. She did not become a nun but joined the Third Order of St Dominic.

Catherine is famous for her Dialogues (written accounts of her revelations from God) and her Letters which initially gave spiritual instruction and encouragement, but gradually began to deal with public matters. Many of her letters were directed to popes, kings and othe public leaders.

These were the days of the Avignon Papacy, when the pope and his staff had moved from Rome to sourthern France. Catherine not only wrote to Pope Gregory XI, respectfully chiding him for leaving Rome, but in 1376 (she was 29 years old) visited him in Avignon and did the same.

Catherine died on this date in 1380 at the age of 33. In 1970, Pope Paul VI declared her a doctor of the Church.

The Little White Book


~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!

12 comments:

  1. I spent my longest trip prayer time at her chapel in Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is my patron saint this year - such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though my mom was named Kathryn, this must be her name's day too. Funny that I already read my "saint for the day" (comes in my e-mail)and didn't connect it till now.
    Thank you Cathy and may you have a sweet day!

    blessings,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Feast Day! I have to ring up my mum 'cos when mum came into the Church a few years ago (six or seven?) she chose St. Catherine as her Patron Saint.

    God bless you abundantly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May you have a beautiful and blessed day with your patron saint, Cathy. I have linked to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Feast Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always learn something new in your place - it's lovely to learn about the faith practices of others :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Feast Day! I want to read more about her. I see more and more of the Saints who died at very young ages. Do you think it was a sign of the times, disease and no medicines? In this particular time of need, I believe reading about the Saints would be good for me. Thanks for posting this.

    Blessings,
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Feast Day, Mrs. Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy name day! (Our Cathy sends her special greetings to you!)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.