Wednesday, May 06, 2009

National Day of Prayer


Tomorrow it National Day of Prayer. It is most important that we take time out to pray for this country of ours. If your church is offering a prayer service please plan to attend. If there is an opportunity for you to pray with others wherever it may be please avail yourself of this opportunity.

My parish of St. John the Baptist here in Newburgh is having a small meal and then we adjourn to the church for our prayer service and for a homily by our guest, Father Alex Zenthoefer. It's a real opportunity as a community to offer our petitions for this nation to the God who watches over us.

God has been so good to us! We have been blessed in so many ways. Though we certainly are not perfect and we have our faults this nation is built on a foundation of prayer. Though some would like to think otherwise, I truly believe that we are obliged by our giftedness to offer thanksgiving for what we have and ask for the Creator's intervention in all our needs. We have an obligation to serve this country in many ways. One of those ways is through communal prayer.

~~~^j^~~~

For the the freedom to
participate in communal prayer,
Thanks be to God!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely reminder post. I was supposed to go to a prayer service after my prayer group tomorrow, but Michael's car needs to go in for repair, so we will say the rosary on the way there.

    Will be e-mailing you regarding the "God significance" of your comment.

    blessings always on you,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't remember about the National Day of Prayer tomorrow, I'm glad I stopped by here. And thanks so much for visiting me!

    I like the Irish word of the day! What a great idea. And I love your background. And the music is beautiful.
    I'm the Mom of five too, but only two grandkids so far!
    Very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed, it is a precious freedom! I pray that we will always be blessed with it! Thank-you for the reminder, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our country should always be close to our hearts, Cathy, that's for sure, and so this post is a timely reminder of that - charity begins at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so need prayer right now and your post reminded me that each of us and our countries need prayers as well. I have an Irish rosary which I so love, I always say the rosary whenever I am driving. I also have a CD with Roma Downy leading the rosary, it's beautiful with her Irish accent. Have a blessed day in prayer my friend ...:-) Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can honestly say that I participated ... when I was lying on the table, waiting for the doctor to come into, I said my prayers. Why does it take something like that to bring one to prayer? I need to work on that!

    Luv you,
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.