Wednesday, December 02, 2009

The History of Advent


I'm never too old to learn something new or relearn something I had forgotten. I hope this is true for you, too. It's good to understand that I don't "know it all!" Here is my offering today!

This History of Advent

In the early Church, four different "comings" or manifestations of the Lord were celebrated all as one feast on January 6: his birth, the visit of the Magi, his baptism by John, and his miracle at Cana. The feast was named "Epiphany"--a Greek word meaning "showing manifestation". Epiphany became, along with Easter, a traditional date for baptisms. Just as the baptisms at Easter were prepared for by a time of fasting and penance (Lent), so the baptisms were prepared for by a time of fasting and penance called "Advent" (from a Latin word meaning "coming").

Gradually, in may places, Christ's birth was given his own feast day on December 25, and the season of Advent shifted to a time of preparation for this feast.

Over the years, Advent became less and less a carbon copy of Lent (fasting and penance) and more a time of prayer and reflection to appreciate the meaning of Christ's coming at Bethlehem, and his coming at the end of time.

The symbols of this season had be come the Advent wreath, with the successive lighting of its four candles on each of the four Sundays--a sigh of the approach of the birth of the Light of the World. ~The Little Blue Book, Advent and Christmas Seasons, 2009-2010

I remember that time when Advent was a season of preparation by fasting and prayer. My family did not decorate until 10 days before Christmas and even though my birthday is during December a quiet celebration of the day was offered. When my sister got married on December 22, I remember that permission had to be obtained from the Bishop. It was a time for reflection on the real Reason for the Season at my house.

No I was never numbed by the glitz of the holiday because there really wasn't any and so when the day arrived there really was a sense of joy and jubilation!!!

Wishing you all a grand day!

*
*~*
*~*~*
*~*~*~*
\_/
~~~~~~~
Thanks be to God!!

9 comments:

  1. I too remember when I was very young that Advent was more like the time of Lent. And at our house the tree was the last thing to go up (I think it wasn't up until Christmas Eve), and I know there was much more importance put on the Birth of Christ and not much put on Santa Claus.
    It did seem like it was all so much more simple with not much importance put on the decorating, shopping, gifts, entertaining, etc. I don't know if that was because we didn't have much financially (I was one of seven kids), or if it was just a way of life back then. I think it was more just a way of life then.
    And in Church you didn't see Christmas trees or any decorations of that sort the way our Church is decked out now during the Christmas season.

    Great post, Cathy!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I was not brought up with Advent but am now appreciating it as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, you and Eileen are on the same page today and I find your posts so uplifting....my childhood at Christmas was very much like yours and I lovd every second of it.....Luv ya...:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the history lesson - lots of information I was unaware of. May God open each of our hearts to prepare them for the arrival of the Christ child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a convert at the age of 31, that was my beginning to celebrate the season called "Advent". I fell in love with Advent, Lent, and literally everything about the Catholic faith. My love has only grown to a point that it reaches too far for me to see, and that's bigger than anything imaginable.

    Thank you for posting this. I learned a new lesson about my faith.

    Bless you, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, what a wonderful lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great information about Advent that I didn't know! Growing up, my family didn't do any Advent activities. I appreciate it so much more now that I'm raising my own family and can teach my children!

    PS. I get all smiley when I hear Dean Martin singing Marshmallow World from your playlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I can bring back the good ole days. I made my first communion around christmas time, that I remember . My dad worked overseas and well we all knew he was santa and christmas was all about midnight mass . It isn't christmas to me, unless you go to church , the rest is worldly, consumerism blech . I agree, this was a good post .

    Peace

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.