Saturday, December 05, 2009

Wisdom of G. K. Chesterton




Appreciation
The aim of life is appreciation; there is no sense in not appreciating things; and there is no sense in having more of them if you have less appreciation of them.
~Autobiography~



LEARNING CONTENTMENT
I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
~Philippians 4:11b-13~

PRAYER
Lord, may we learn what it means to appreciate what we do have instead of constantly stewing over what we do not have. Teach us this sacred of contentment that Chesterton and the Apostle Paul knew so well.

ADVENT ACTION
Find an ordinary object that you already own and truly value. The object may be as commonplace as an handbag, or pair of boots, as homey as a basket or bowl, as symbolic as a book or soccer ball. Place this object as the centerpiece on your table or in a prominent place where you will notice it frequently. Each time it comes to your attention consider a new way of appreciating it, thanking God for its qualities and the joy it brings you.
(Advent and Christmas--Wisdom From G. K. Chesterton, edited by The Center for the Study of C. S. Lewis and Friends)

~~~~~~~

You know I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm certainly not consistent but I do find myself being grateful for the little things and not wishing to acquire what others have.

As a matter of fact just the other day I had seen some new Vera Bradley bags carried by some friends. I am so fond of the one I have that I really have no intention of buying another pattern. The pattern I have is retired now and so I will have to tend to it carefully. I really don't care if I have another. Vera Bradley probably doesn't want to know that but really contentment with and appreciation of what we have is a wonderful feeling. That bag also brings back treasured memories of family outings and, especially, shopping trips with the Girls.


*
*~*
*~*~*
*~*~*~*
\_/
~~~~~
Thanks be to God!!!

7 comments:

  1. G.K. Chesterton, true the wisdom of the ages. What a lovely picture for today. It finally hit me what Haiku is -Fingers are aching
    Gifts they are waiting
    Happy to be crafting.
    Yes everything I am doing is for my grands and kiddos handmade gifts. I will show they after Christmas.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I read this really good quote by GK Chesterton this morning and now you share this. I'd better start reading him again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I don't know if it is because I am older or if it is because of the passing of my son and husband but I have learned to appreciate eveything in my life and give thanks everyday, many times in fact....can I do better...Oh yes and I continue reminding myself constantly........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! Such wonderful words for this thoughtful time of year! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post! And it's something I've just recently acquired these past few years, the feeling of being content with what I have.
    I'm not saying I don't get anything new, but I've come to the realization that my needs are few. And I have a great appreciation for all we have, material things and even so much more, family, friendship, love, and Faith.

    All the best to you,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup, me too, there are things that I long for, but not for the lack of appreciating what I have...

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.