Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Novena for Life I




As they have for many years, The Knights of Columbus offer the Novena For Life at our parish. As members of the parish of St. John the Baptist Church prepare to board buses tomorrow I would ask you all to join me in praying this Novena For Life. We pray for those who travel, those who teach, those who nurture, those who council, and those who serve.


Day One
Created to Live with You
Prayer
Father of life, help us to long for the fullness of life and to know the wonder of what awaits us beyond the dimensions of this earthly existence.

A reading from the Book of Job 19:1, 23-27a
The Job answered and said: Oh, would that my words were written down! Would that they were inscribed in a record: That with an iron chisel and with lead they were cut in the rock forever! But as for me, I know that my Vindicator lives, and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust; Whom I myself shall see; my own eyes, not another's, shall behold him; And from my flesh I shall see God; my inmost being is consumed with longing.

(Silent reflection)

Prayer
God of all creation grant us the wisdom to understand fully the mystery that life has no meaning apart from you.

A Reflection by Pope John Paul II*
The Eucharist is a straining towards the goal, a foretaste of the fullness of joy promised by Christ (cf. Jn 15:11); it is in some way the anticipation of heaven, the "pledge of future glory". . . Those who feed on Christ in the Eucharist need not wait until the hereafter to receive eternal life; they already possess it on earth, as the first-fruits of a future fullness which will embrace man in his totality. For in the Eucharist we also received the pledge of our bodily resurrection at the end of the world; "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day" (Jn 6:54)

Our Father. . .
Hail Mary. . .
Glory Be. . .
*Ecclesia de Eucharistia, no. 18.

So I invite you join me again tomorrow. Until then.


3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful Novena, thank you for posting it so that many more may take part in it. I used to feel so disheartened when I thought about this issue, not only in our country but in the world, but then I did remember that Christ Is The Victor, and as Job says, "I know that my Vindicator Lives". God Is in His Heaven and in His Divine Wisdom He will make all things right in His time.

    I pray that His Protection be on those called to do His work, and I pray for His Guidance to lead me when I am confronted with this issue in social settings, and to answer His Call and to be open to His Call.

    Love and Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU so much for this!! I will be coming here each day (God willing!) to pray with you. We will be praying and fasting especially on Friday for those poor babies.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.