Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mosaic/Macro Monday~~Air Plant




I was introduced to Air Plants by a dear friend and coworker a couple of months ago.  The one she gave to me then is cute and small and I have named him Simon.  She went to visit family in Tennessee a week ago and I asked her to bring me two more when she went to Gatlinburg.  This is one of the two she brought to me.  Isn't she lovely.  Sarah told me that this variety of of air plant may only bloom once every ten years.  But she also said it might also keep its bloom for up to a year.  Well, here's hoping for I think Miriam is just beautiful!


Tillandsia is a genus of around 540 species in the Bromeliad family (Bromeliaceae), found in the forests, mountains, and deserts, of Central and South America, and Mexico and the southern United States in North America. Tillandsia recurvata and another Bromeliaceae species on electric wires near San Juan de los Morros, Venezuela Flowering Tillandsia and daughter plant The thinner-leafed varieties grow in rainy areas and the thick-leafed varieties in areas more subject to drought. Moisture and nutrients are gathered from the air (dust, decaying leaves and insect matter) through structures on the leaves called trichomes. Tillandsia species are epiphytes (also called aerophytes or air plants) – i.e. they normally grow without soil while attached to other plants. Epiphytes are not parasitic, depending on the host only for support. The genus Tillandsia was named by Carolus Linnaeus after the Swedish physician and botanist Dr. Elias Tillandz (originally Tillander) (1640-1693).
Wikipedia 
~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

Cathy 

The Little Red House and share in the beauty offered there.   And though I have nothing to offer at  Macro Monday  Lisa has a wonderful time planned for you.  The pictures all are an inspiration!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the info on these air plants. They do have lovely blooms. Wonderful post, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images - i like the editing on the first one! You might like to contribute your more orange-ish images on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and interesting info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful. I have never heard of those. Great information.Have a great week Cathy.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post and awesome photography of 'air plant' ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Air Plants are very beautiful and so interesting, Cathy. I hope yours will bloom fo a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful flower.

    And thank you Cathy for the lovely music. I like "May the road rise up to meet you".

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are strange plants! I've just back from the rain forests in Northern Australia - this type of plant (i think!) was growing near the tops of many of the trees.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bromeliad is one of my mother's favorite. And I agree it has many species in different shapes, colors and form. And they are thorny too! ^_^ Thanks for the visit.


    Kim, USA

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I always thought air plants were oddities that you found in "dime stores". These are beautiful in their form and color. I enjoyed your first edit which emphasized the bloom.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.