Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Say Something Nice About a Priest


Abbey at Abbey's Road tagged me for this MEME. It is not hard for me to say something nice about a priest. The most difficult part for me is to decide which one to tell you about. There are so many Men of God that have touched my life that I just don't know where to begin.

Perhaps, I will tell you about Father Gene. When we first moved to Indiana we were new to St. Philip Neri Church. We had only lived here a year when a newly ordained deacon was assigned to our parish. Deacon Gene was a vibrant and enthusiastic young man. We invited him for dinner on a number of occasions and we developed a wonderful friendship. He was ordained to the priesthood the following April and we were all invited to his ordination. It was our first (but not the last) and it made a glorious impression on me.

We have had the opportunity to share many happy hours with Fr. Gene since then. He is a wonderful friend and he has been my Spiritual Adviser for a number of years. He's a member of the family. I remember how wonderful it was when he surprised us by arriving at Laura and Roy's wedding and con celebrated with Father Ken, another family friend.

My life has been full of the presence of God through his ministers. For the most part they are men of integrity, compassion, humor, and love of their church and vocation. There job is not an easy one. Their life is full of many challenges.

My hope is that after reading this you will call your pastor and invite him to your home for dinner. You will thoroughly enjoy his company and you will find a true gratitude for your kindness. I have not met a more appreciative guest.

Now I will tag:

Tracy

Esther

Laura

My best to all and Thank your priest today!

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

5 comments:

  1. we had Fr Philip Neri Powell over for dinner earlier this summer. It was wonderful! He's studying in Rome and was here between classes. Through his blog and his patient answering of all my questions he helped tremendously in my conversion to CAtholicism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend and I took Father Bob to breakfast a couple of weeks ago, he is young and new to our parish and it was lovely to get to know him better. He is from Poland and doesn't fancy our Canadian food so doesn't accept dinner invitations, for now anyway but I am sure he will change his mind soon....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father sounds like quite a wonderful priest.

    BTW, thanks for the tag Cathy! This is one meme I wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's wonderful to hear you have a priest like that in your life, and from what I'm reading so many others do too.
    I haven't felt that since grade school!
    I've been wondering where all the 'Father O'Malley's' are!
    Great post!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. good idea for a post, most people do not realize how difficult it is to be a priest/pastor/minister/shephard - thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.