Friday, May 11, 2007

It's GG' s Birthday

I just want to say thank you, Mom. Thank you for the countless dresses you so lovingly made for me. Thank you for the sweaters you have crafted with such love. Thank for being a model of grace, courage, and perseverance.

You offer to others yourself in so many ways and I have been privileged to grow up seeing you share your gifts and talents with others. You are the teacher who taught me to speak the English language and use it with skill, because you knew how important is was to use it well. You taught me to knit, embroider, and sew (though, I know, teaching me to sew was a real challenge). You tried to teach me to swim, though I am sorry to say, without much success. Thank God all my children can swim. You taught me the importance of humor and laughter!! Thank you for the times we have laughed so hard together...

You taught me compassion and caring for others by example. I saw it in how you cared for us as children and as adults. I saw how you cared for others when you would take them grocery shopping. How you cared for the Aunts when they needed you by visiting and doing their laundry. You showed your love in the small things, by cleaning the church, mending cassocks for the priest, laundering the alter linens and crafting rosaries (as you did when I was a child).

You are skilled in listening. That is probably the reason you have so many friends and family who even today, will call you and visit with you.

You, Mother, are a competitor...You LOVE to play games and you enjoy it most when playing with your children and their families...Although, I suspect, if called to be a 4th in pinochle you'd have to pass on a game of Canasta.

Mom, thank you for 82 wonderful years that I will cherish. God blessed me when he allowed me to be your daughter. And GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.