Monday, May 14, 2007

The lost has been found...

I am on a journey. Yes, a journey. And on this journey I have been guided to different sources of reflection and meditation. A couple of years ago I found little book called Set Aside Every Fear, Love and Trust in the Spirituality of Catherine of Siena. I picked up the book in the first place because St. Catherine of Siena is the saint chosen by my parents as my namesake. Knowing of her determination and her wisdom, I wanted to learn from her example. She was advisor of Popes and Bishops and as a woman of her time this was nearly unheard of. She was one of the original "liberated women." And finally, a Doctor of the Church.

It is a book that allows short reflections in which first God speaks to the reader as she begins the day. She is given a verse to reflect on through the day and then at the end of the day she responds in prayer. Well....I have been searching high and low for this book and today it has "been found." In this text is my favorite "reminder" of how we are called to love. And so now, I can share it. too. I hope you will find it, as I have, to be a profound statement of who we are as Christians and how we are called to be Christian.

***
"Love is a debt you owe to everyone."
***
Why is it a debt I owe everyone? Because the salvation of my immortal soul was purchased at a very high price. This verse is profound to me because the debt I incur comes from our Savior, when He gave his life in my name. Yes, in my name. A debt I can only repay by loving as he loves me. I was awakened to the truth that love is no longer passive (saying you love your neighbor), but an ACTION in which we are to participate at all times (finding a means to participate in the sharing of that Divine Love). It is not an easy debt to repay, but then I owe a great deal through the purchase of my salvation by the death and resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I have been called to reflect this Easter Season on the ways I must actively participate in my own salvation.
***
Nothing can be more difficult and simple at the same time. Some days the love comes easy and we can smile in the presence of the Lord. Other days we are tested in our love and those are the days when it is most difficult to say "thank you" for the challenge to love in the presence of the Lord. But by reminding myself that I am in the presence of the Lord at all times makes me appreciate even more family, friends and co-workers. Because, on any given day, these are the one who can be the hardest to love.
***
And so in my indebtedness, I say Thank You, Lord, for this day in all its goodness. Thank you for the gift of tomorrow. I get another chance to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.