Monday, March 10, 2008

One of my favorite parables...

As I read this reflection this morning I thought of how at one time or another in my life I have been the seed described in this lesson by Jesus as written in the Gospel of Mark.

Women in the Garden

Other seed fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing up and increasing and yielding. Let any one with ears to hear, listen.
Mark 4:1-9

In the beginning, God created--formed us from rich, red earth. Created in God's own image, we are good earth, God's earth. God speaks like falling seeds and rain. "I have made you, you are mine. I am your Rock and Redeemer. I will bless you and be merciful."

Jesus, the Good Seed, is scattered into us. Listen, he says, listen! "Your faith has made you whole. Your sins are forgiven. I have come for sinners. I am the resurrection and the life."

Sometimes our good soil is trampled by heavy traffic and the seeds of love are snatched away. Sometimes there are hard and rocky places and tender plants of trust wither. Sometimes our good soil is overgrown with other demands, responsibilities, spirits, or messages and there is no room for Jesus. Always there is good soil where the cross and Jesus are planted, surrounded by a brilliant array of flower and fruits. The garden is lavish, abundant and ready to be given to others. We live in God's garden of good seed and good soil. We are in the middle of a spectrum of hearty plants that stretch to every horizon.

Spirit of God, cultivate our good soil and give a bumper crop that others may share in all your good gifts.

Eleanore Sudbrock

~~~~+~~~~

It seems that my analogy of the "gathering of the fruits and nuts" yesterday was not too far off. We are to BE the fruits of our labors and a gift of thanksgiving to Our Father, through His Son, Jesus!

***
Thanks be to God!!!

4 comments:

  1. And when we are all assembled, all gathered together in one fold, brothers and sisters, what rich harvest there will be to bring before the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lovely photo. It's so beautiful.

    I wish we all made use of our gift of spreading good seeds. Sadly, when people meet challenges in their lives, they either rise above it or get defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. veritas, when we are all gathered I imagine a "Joyful Noise" unlike any other!!!

    Joy, thank you the picture was taken at Niagara Falls. I would pray that all those who would seem defeated would continue to persevere as God truly does provide!!!

    Thank you both ever so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture! Sorry I haven't commented much. Life has been busy. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.