Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Another Pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow!

This treasure is call: A Catholic Woman's Book of Days by Amy Welborn. She offers daily meditations that are short and thought provoking. Even bring back memories of times past. Today's was especially personal to me because I have walked in her shoes. How about you?

"A certain Woman named Lydia, a worshiper of God, was listening to us; she was from the city of Thyatira and a dealer in purple cloth. The Lord opened her heart to listen eagerly to what was said by Paul." Acts 16:14
***

Amy says, "None of my babies have been good sleepers. When they're little, I see a lot of the middle of the night. What always fascinates me is the quiet. It's so still that when a train passes on tracks two miles away, it sounds as if it is in our backyard. I suppose this shows me that there's a lot more noise out there during the day than I realize.

When we pray, we may be convinced that we're listening to God. But are we? Or have we just grown so accustomed to the continual drone that we don't even know it's there, muffling, and distorting God's voice? And then we're startled when God's voice resounds like a train through the night, unfamiliar but at last unmistakeable, and we must, like Lydia, open our hearts and listen eagerly.

***

Loving God, help me really quiet myself and listen.

***

I can really identify...4 of the 5 children didn't sleep through the night until they were about 2 years old. And then when the youngest did, I couldn't sleep for fear something was the matter with her. So the middle of the night on many occasions has been a time of prayer for me. I also know that I do indeed talk too much and there are so many times the only time the Lord can get a "word in edgewise" is when I am asleep. Then He wakes me to show me the way...He truly knows the way for us all...We just have to "awaken" to it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.