Tuesday, January 01, 2008

From the Blue Book...


Thought I would just send this along. Just because I didn't know all about the designation 'til I read this. I really have a lot more to learn about our history and traditions. ( It has probably been explained to me on a number of occasions from the good sisters to a homily at Mass but I just didn't "hear" it until now.)

MARY, MOTHER OF GOD

Today's feast has had many themes over the years.

It is the feast of Mary, the Mother of God--celebrating the title that was controversial in the early centuries. The question was: Although Mary is the Mother of Jesus, can she be called "Mother of God?" The Council of Ephesus in 431 declared that she could, and the feast of Mary under that title has been celebrated ever since.

Today is also the Octave of Christmas. It has also been traditional to celebrate the naming and circumcision of Jesus on this date, for Luke says that it was eight days after his birth that Jesus fully became a member of God's chosen people.

In recent years, today has also be designated as a day of prayer for world peace.

And, of course, today is New Year's Day.


NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.
~Luke 2:19~

Studies have indicated that New Year's resolutions are not always effective. We try to make too many of them and we don't think them through or prepare for them very well. They don't have roots.

Taking a cue from the Gospel, instead of making resolutions, maybe we should think of making reflections. For example, where is my life moving?

The Gospel says that the shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem where they found Mary, Joseph and the infant lying in a manger. There is movement here. The shepherds moved toward Christ.

My life has a movement to it, a flow. Life is never inert, standing still. I can direct my life, or I can let it drift, but I must never have the illusion that it is standing still.

Where is my life moving?
Toward God...or away from God?
It's definitely moving in one direction or the other.


~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~

For the free will He has given me to make the "move", thanks be to God!

***

As an aside. Was anyone else surprised by the revelation that, not
until his circumcision did Our Lord become a member of the "People of God"?
Just as we become children of God through baptism, so Jesus became part of
the race He chose to be His people through the covenant sign of circumcision.

***It never occurred to me! WOW!!***


6 comments:

  1. Good reflection! A very Happy and blessed New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to our faith and tradition that we can never say ; 'There, I'm done, I know all about it.'
    And the fact that we are always learning keeps us alert and when we find our hearts opening anew to God's word even though we may have heard it a hundred times before it's very reassuring, knowing that at least some days we seem to be tuned in to the right frequencies and hear Him loud and clear.

    Thanks be to God!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way light illuminates upon certain things at certain times during our lives revealing just the thing we need to take another step.
    Thankyou for this reflection, it is something that hadn't dawned upon me.
    A Blessed New Year to you:0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and well said, indeed! Thank-you! Blessings in His Holy Name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy New Year!!!
    Hope you have a great day!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful reflection. I have to admit I never make New Years Resolutions..I tend to live my life for the DAY..not yesterday and not tomorrow.

    Peace & JOY to you:)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.