Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Prayerful Talants

St. Meinrad Archabbey
Picture by cindy47452

There are times that the book Latin Sayings for Spiritual Growth really has a lot to say to me. This is one of those times. I have been struggling with my grasp of prayer and how it should be done for years and years. Sometimes I feel I succeed in my prayer life and at others I feel the failure. But you know when I hear others talk about their praying, I wonder if I really know how to pray.

Archabbot Labert Reilly, O.S. B. says this.

Non omni cundem calceum induas pedi

("Every shoe fits not every foot")
Publilius Syrus

Many times during our journey, we turn to Christ just as the Apostles did and implore, "Lord, teach us to pray" (Luke 11:1).

It was simple when we were young: Utter the memorized words ask for blessing for all we loved, and drift off to sleep, trusting God's presence the same way we trusted that our mother would be there in the morning, gently shaking us awake.

But as we grow older, life reveals its complexities. Our friendships with other human beings change, just as our relationship with God changes. We turn to a shelf filled with spiritual reading for guidance, and the options stump us. We can meditate, pray the Rosary, go to daily Mass, pray by ourselves or with a group. We can be guided by Thomas a Kempis, Ignatius of Loyola, Teresa of Avila, Francis de Sales, or Therese of Lisieux. One deeply spiritual friend is rooted in Adoration, another in Scripture study still another in both.

What fits us?

We are each of course, unique, and God is infinite. He approaches each of us in ways that make sense to us and that will bring us close to Him. If God gives one person the gift of experiencing His presence through a certain style of prayer, that doesn't mean it's the only way that leads to Him.

It's another facet of the virtue of prudence: sifting, testing, and listening, to fine the prayer that brings us closest to God.

~~~^j^~~~

So perhaps, I should stop worrying today about how I don't pray the way others pray, but pray the way I am most comfortable where I am right now. That of course may change tomorrow, or in years and years...Only God knows. I'm still just a work in progress. YEAH!

~~~
Thanks be to God!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Cathy. We are warned about not comparing ourselves to others. Whilst we are sizing up man's outwardness . . . God is looking lovingly upon our hearts. Prayer is the language of our hearts I believe and so it must not be subjected to our inclinations to grade it on a curve or otherwise. The words penned or spoken from our hearts, in faith and love, are neither clumsy or coarse. I love this post of yours! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Abba.. Father!" Could anything outside of Mass and Adoration please Him more than this.. said in Christ the Son's name, through the power of the Holy Spirit? All love, for all time is our lot, if we embrace His simple, simple rules. Well, indeed.. if we read of Fatima, we find out what also pleases the Holy Trinity: The Immaculate Heart. To Jesus through Mary.. but also, to God the Father through Mary.. to God the Holy Spirit through Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aselah, Thank you...I wonder at times why, when I hear my grandchildren pray, why I think my prayer must be so sophisticated. Pride is suspect.

    Justme, so wonderful(!) to "see" you! And no, there is really nothing outside of Mass and Adoration that can please him more. You are right. I believe, sometimes, this torment in my prayer life comes from the unholy one and I tend to listen...

    Good day and thank you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About that memorized stuff -- even something as simple as the Lord's Prayer (which is really not at that simple if you get down to it) are not understood as anything except pro forma phrases by most of the kids I teach in catechism. I really enjoy breaking down all the Catholic dogma for them -- where it came from, what it means, while we still say it. I learn, too, when I do that.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.