Friday, May 30, 2008

Peace...

Photo by Robin


When I least expect it the beautiful words of another awaken me to the glory of God. It has happened again today as I read Bread for the Journey, A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith by Henri J. M. Nouwen. The gift to me is my gift extended to you today, as I cannot give what has already been given.

Jesus Is a Peacemaker

Jesus, the Blessed Child of the Father, is a peacemaker. His peace doesn't mean only absence of war. It is not simply harmony or equilibrium. His peace is the fullness of well-being, gratuitously given by God. Jesus says, "Peace I leave to you, my peace I give you, a peace which the world cannot give, this is my gift to you" (John 14:27)

Peace is Shalom--well-being of mind, heart, and body, individually and communally. It can exist in the midst of a war-torn world, even in the midst of unresolved problems and increasing human conflicts. Jesus made that peace by giving his life for his brothers and sisters. This is no easy peace, but it is everlasting and it comes from God. Are we willing to give our lives in the service of peace?

I guess this what I am asking myself as I make the application to be a Providence Associate. "Am I willing to give my life in the service of peace?" I'm stepping into the unknown, so I pray heartily for the companionship of the Holy Spirit.

God bless you all and have a Grand Weekend!!

~~~~~~~^j^~~~~~~

Thanks be to God!!!

9 comments:

  1. Cathy, I'm quite sure that the Holy Spirit will be an ideal and constant companion of she who aspires to be a Providence associate. You'll be walking with God alright, every step of the way!
    have a great weekend. God bless, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Cathy and those who joined us in prayer
    RE: Prayer for the Unemployed

    Kimberly of Catholic family Vignettes thanks you for your prayers! She joined many families in praying the Prayer to St. Joseph. Though her husband was not unemployed, she asked that her husband's intention be included. Her husband was hoping to get a better job and he got it this week. He starts at this new job next week!

    God be praised!

    Thanking God for you,
    Easter at Mostly Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one thing I have learnt about maintaining one's peace is never make a decision if your emotions are in chaos.
    I wait until the tumult has passed THEN I make decisions.

    I think at times and in nearly all situations we must maintain not only a spirit of peace but also one of JOY.

    Peace, JOY & Love to you Cathy:)

    Marie xoxoxoox Loved your reflection TY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love his writings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one in a long line of unknown steppers . . . Abraham can give you wise counsel about that! However, a better One as you have noted will most gladly accompany you at your invitation to show you where your foot must fall.

    May he only give you enough light for the next step, and the one after that and the one after that.

    May peace be a compass, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Cathy for opening a new window for me.
    Peace can be with us in so many faces. We can bring in the world a kind of peace, according with our possibility: " simply harmony or equilibrium".
    But HE gives us His Peace:
    "-well-being of mind, heart, and body, individually and communally. It can exist in the midst of a war-torn world, even in the midst of unresolved problems and increasing human conflicts"
    Now, I understand that Peace is the hard and wonderful work which brings people together in the name of Love.
    "Am I willing to give my life in the service of peace?"
    I am weak. I only love this world and I'm ready to do my best for its beauty and harmony. And for: "His peace is the fullness of well-being, gratuitously given by God", I only pray for His Gift.

    Bless you Cathy and have a peaceful Sunday!
    Sma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy,
    I just read about the Sisters of Providence and how the laity can be Providence Associates. Based on what I read on your blog I believe you are the perfect candidate!

    My husband, I and all our five children (my daughter, Cy, being one of them) are all Pauline Cooperators. We belong to the Pauline Family. It has been a joy serving the Lord with the fsf nuns in our diocese, doing adoration with them and growing in Scriptures with them, etc.

    God bless you, Cathy! And thank you for the comments you left in my combox. You are so cute and funny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this, it really grabbed my attention and helped me realize that I forgot to find peace in my struggles recently. I usually just offer it up and accept it, even love whatever struggles come my way.....but, I must say I try to use my strength...and forget to let him give me peace in my weakness and let his grace carry me.

    Thanks! I needed this ;) Thanks also for all your comments on my blog, It's nice to see that you drop in :)

    I will read up on the Sisters of Providence, I didn't know anything about them.....I will pray for you to be able to be still and hear our Lord's Voice, and to know his Will.

    Blessings,Michele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful words. I have another book by Henri. J.M. Nouwen right beside me here on my bookshelf.
    It's called "The Inner Voice of Love"
    I recommend it. He has a wonderful way of bringing the most profound teaching to a very real and intimate level.
    I haven't read the one you mention yet, I'll be looking it up now though.
    Thankyou and Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.