Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Feast of St. Mary Magdalen

When he had risen, early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. She went and told his companions who were mourning and weeping. When they heard that he was alive and had been seen by her, they did not believe.
~Mark 16:9-11~


The Magdalene, most of all, is the model I like to follow. That boldness of hers, which would be so amazing if it weren't the boldness of a lover, won the heart of Jesus and how it fascinates mine!

~Saint Therese of Lisieux~


~~~~~

Oh, to have the faith of such a woman. The humility to say I have sinned and then to repent of our sins with such determination as to follow Jesus with a "bold" heart as Saint Therese suggests. I can only pray that the Holy Spirit will embolden me in much the same way!

For all the graces granted to me,
in so many ways,
Thanks be to God!

3 comments:

  1. Such faith and devotion. To be forgiven much and to love much! May we be shown how much we are forgiven so that we might love Him extravagantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, Mary Magdalene was such an amazing woman. Her devotion to Jesus is definitely worth emulating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't know that the Magdalen is the carnal woman spoken of, but rather only that many sins (7 devils) were made to go out of her (and apparently at her request), that she was forgiven much. I feel there's a mistranslation in Therese's statement, feel there's a "not" missing, i.e., "That boldness of hers, which would not be so amazing if it weren't the boldness of a lover.."

    At any rate, I'm with you all in loving and admiring St. Mary Magdalen.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.