Friday, August 15, 2008

The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary


Amy Welborn, in A Catholic Woman's Book of Days has written a reflection about humanity and me as a woman that I would like to share with you. She touches on every part of my evolution as a woman. I wonder if she will touch you in the same way. I believe that this is relevant to men as well because they, too, are asking the same questions.

First let us hear St. Paul.

It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual
body. If there is a physical body, there is also a
spiritual body.
~1 Corinthians 15: 44~
Since conception, my body has changed dramatically. What began as a single cell is now a bit larger than than. The soft skin of infancy is getting worn. Reading glasses are becoming a necessity. I wonder as I watch elderly women [men] walk past me in the grocery store, in a few decades, who will I be?

I will be the same person, in a body that so mysteriously changes but is somehow still me and will, God promises, remain so for eternity. One more great change will take place, one that I cannot even imagine, but I will remain myself, only whole.

This is what we celebrate today, what God has shared with Mary: eternal life of our whoe selves. There is nothing to fear, for life is the victor!

~~~+~~~

Lord, thank you for the gift of eternal life.
Hail Mary...

~~~*~*~*~~~
No, I don't feel a day over 40, but I am. Yes, I still look at others and see them as older. Then there's the reality check. I am the others. But the truth is my salvation is guaranteed and I have the consolation of knowing that, body and soul, my Holy Mother is in Heaven with her son and one day so will I! Halleluia!

~~~~~~~

And Thanks Be to God!

6 comments:

  1. This was really special.
    "One more great change will take place, one that I cannot even imagine, but I will remain myself, only whole."
    No matter how we seem on the outside. Or how old or young we are we are a soul that remains unique and whole in God.
    Thanks you for sharing this on such a special day :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy where I am. That is what makes my life okay...even when I look in the mirror and see that aging person. Thanks for your visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too just turned 40. I feel this earthly tent fading, but lay hold of the promise of eternal life secured through Jesus. He defeated death and the same power that resurrected Him is available to us. Hallelujah!

    btw, I always appreciate your kind comments at my place.

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quote and perfect meditation for the day. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello...I say your comment about the beautiful Kansas sunflower fields at The Dutchess....I also have those same memories...and I thank you for waking them up!
    God Bless you and all those you love...
    Miss Peach<><

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post - and lots to think about, be grateful for - and look forward to! We can't get better than that, can we?

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.