Sunday, September 07, 2008

Another "Lost Book"


You know when you remodel, clean (really deep clean) or make changes, it's amazing what you find you don't need, want or have lost sight of. Yesterday I found my book The One Year Book of Personal Prayer from Tyndale House Publishers.

Today, I opened it for reflection and found that my favorite Psalm and accompanying thoughts really have touched me. It seems today I am emotionally in tune. I was brought to tears a number of times this morning at Mass. So today is, for me, a God-feeling day. These times don't often happen to me but when they do I cherish them.

This is my offering, then to you all, who share this world with me.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Psalm 51: 10-12

Change me,
God
Please change me.
Though I cringe

Kick
Resist and resent
Pay no attention to me whatever.
When I run to hide
Drag me out of my safe little shelter.
Change me totally
Whatever it takes
However long You must work at the job.
Change me--and save me
From spiritual self-destruction
Ruth Harms Calkin


Prayer is not simply getting things from God, that is a most initial form of prayer; prayer is getting into perfect communion with God.

Oswald Chambers


You see what I mean? Today is the day He opened the window again and I have been refreshed by His presence. He was there in my tears at Mass and He is with me now as I converse with you! Whew!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!!

6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! I LOVE that Psalm. It's created into a beautiful song I know that I also love. Your post was very refreshing. I'm so glad you had a God moment..i LOVE it when I have those. It brings joy to my soul. I also enjoyed your poem. God is SO good! Many blesings your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks be to God, indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I think it's serendipitous that you found the book again. I was just having a discussion with my brother who is now searching, again, for his faith. This passage would certainly help him. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Calkin poem is great and will be a great one to pass on to my middle schoolers.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears during Mass - I know what you mean, Cathy. The words in the psalm are ones I often say. We're our own worst enemies at times, aren't we? Resisting God's will,resisting the promptings of the Spirit, naively thinking we know best, and then when we finally give in, we discover that God's ways are definitely not our ways - they are infinitely better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! Those moments are so precious. And what a prayer! The sort that God is sure to answer. Lovely post today :)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.