Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gratitude...



At times I am embarrassed at work when someone says thank you to me for whatever it is they are grateful. But I am seldom taken by surprise as I was just the other day. I had just weighed this dear lady, who now needs the use of a walker, and we were going down the hall to the patient room. I told her you're welcome and then asked her why? She said it was because I said "follow me" not "walk this way." One seldom thinks about the words we use and how they might be understood by others. It was a lesson for me in kindness. She was grateful for my choice of words which to her allowed her to feel less handicapped. Perhaps, now I will be more thoughtful in my use of language in the care of my charges each day.

Cinquain on Kindness
Kindness
True charity
Given in tenderness
Virtue

+
~~+++~~
+

Thanks be to God!

8 comments:

  1. I love it when I learn these subtle, yet very important, things about words. I have this "thing" about using the right words when conveying something. I want to be clear. In a study once, I had said that our choice and use of words is very important. This is very true when we teach others about the Catholic Faith (i.e. the use of the word worship, adore, honour . . . you know to what I am referring, I'm sure). So it is with the word "love" and "friend", too.

    What you did was give this person their dignity - and a hug. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'll be watching what I say today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind adding my new blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet learning - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the words and how we say them can make such a difference..Such small things, but so important..
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, what a good lesson to all of us in watching how we say things to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful message =- it reminds me that I have stop to think before I say things (I am too mouthy and prone to sarcasm).

    I love the poem.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.