Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Novena for life VIII


Pieta, Shrine of Sainte-Anne de Beaupre
Quebec, 2003


Day Eight
Consecrated to the Sacredness of Life by Christ

Prayer
Father of life, in every moment of the day remind me of the incomparable value of every human person.

A Reading from the Holy Gospel According to John 3:16-18
For God so love the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

(silent reflection)

Prayer
God of all creation, as by his birth, Christ united himself with us, so by the way we live our lives, may we witness the boundless love of the one who so loved the world that he gave his only Son.

A reflection of Pope Benedict XVI*
[The] words [of Pope John Paul II]...constantly echo in my ears: "Do not be afraid! Open wide the doors for Christ!..." Are we not perhaps all afraid in some way? If we let Christ enter fully into our lives, if we open ourselves totally to him, are we not afraid that he might take something away from us? Are we not perhaps afraid to give up something significant, something unique, something that makes life so beautiful? Do we not then risk ending up diminished and deprived of our freedom? And once again the Pope said: No, if we let Christ into our lives, we lose nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing of what makes life free, beautiful and great. No! Only in this friendship are the doors of life opened wide. Only in this friendship is the great potential of human existence truly revealed. Only in this friendship do we experience beauty and liberation...Do not be afraid of Christ! He takes nothing away, and he gives you everything.

Our Father...
Hail Mary...
Glory Be...

*Pope Benedict XVI, Homily, Mass for the Inauguration of his Pontificate, April 24, 2005.


~~~~~~~

"No, if we let Christ into our lives, we lose nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing of what makes life free, beautiful and great. No! Only in this friendship are the doors of life opened wide." I can only imagine what it is like to stand in front of David's Pieta. I only know that standing in front of the Pieta at the Shrine of Ste. Anne I could only be filled with sorrow for the mother who held her lifeless son in her arms and gratitude to God our Father for his Son. I cannot truly empathize with her loss. I really have never experienced loss as devastating as this was, but because Our Lady was the mother of God...Oh! I cannot put what I want to say into words. They escape ME!!! Indeed, there are times when words are useless and one must only be quiet!! And so it is for me today. LIFE is GOOD!!!

~~~

In gratitude for quiet reflection, I say,
Thanks be to God!!!


Originally posted 1/23/2008

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy - Thank you for stopping by & for your well wishes. I hope to be posting more on my Precious Treasures blog - just had to slow down a bit.

    Hope all is well with you & family.
    God Bless.

    ciao for now,
    Elena :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that first prayer Cathy... everyone is so valuable and we miss something if we avoid those who disagree with us! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly. Whenever I reflect on the Sorrowful Mother it is overwhelming to my very soul.
    I did see the Peita when it was at the World's Fair here, I was about ten at the time and I was awe-struck.
    And due to my mother's wonderful teachings I have a very loving relationship with the Blessed Mother. And this post is timely for me as I've been praying to her for a deeper relationship with her Son. I have been holding back for fear of the things I have to let go of. I know it.
    Thank you for this. It really speaks to my heart.
    Love and Grateful Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.