Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Once Upon A Time Recipes



There is always that special recipe that brings back wonderful memories of gatherings of family and friends and grand times spent together.  Christmas is one of those times when memories flood back for me.  What about yours?





~~~*~~~
*****
***




Today's recipe reminds me of the gift of  a friend gave me and all the wonderful recipes and stories it has to tell.  The book is The Twelve Blessings of Christmas by T.J Mills and how that gift brings joy to to family and friends.  It also brings back memories of one of those traditions my family had at Christmas and the breakfast pastry on Christmas Day.

It was a treat each Christmas to have this fruit-filled stollen warm and tasty with our eggs and bacon after early Christmas Mass.  The recipe I have been using is not as complicated and takes very little time to prepare.  And so I offer it from the pages of this delightful book!

Christmas Stollen

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 packages yeast
1 package yellow cake mix
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can cherry pie filling

Mix together water, yeast, cake mix, flour and salt.  Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double.  Divide in half and roll to a 12 x 8 oval.  Spread 1/2 can of pie fill on one side of dough and fold over half of the dough on top.  Repeat with remaining dough.  Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise until double in bulk.  Bake in a 350  degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely and drizzle powdered sugar frosting.

(I place the loaves on baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  I also used cream cheese icing on the loaves.)

Baking this stollen each year also allows me the opportunity to thank God for Lisa who gave me this book in the first place.  She is on of those treasures for which I say,

"Thanks be to God!"


If you have a recipe your family enjoys traditionally every year, please link below so we can all share in the the excitement and try your recipe this year!!

9 comments:

  1. MY MOTHER IS MY MEMORY...SHE SURE KNEW HOW TO "DO" CHRISTMAS.THIS WILL BE OUR 1ST CHRISTMAS WITHOUT HER...SHE PASSED ON JANUARY 9TH LAST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CATHY
    I ADDED YOU AS A FRIEND ON FACEBOOK.MY AVATAR IS...KNIGHTSWOOD FARM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, this doesn't sound too complicated, I'll have to copy it and give it a try. It would be wonderful to have this on Christmas morning!

    I'm working on my recipe post now and I'll link it soon.
    Love and Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post for today. Those old recipes are so filled with memories. I missed your mosaic. It is beautiful. Had computer problems all day Monday. Didn't get around much.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, sounds delicious and simple.... a great recipe to whip up.
    Blessings, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipe sounds scrumptious and easy to do..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, thank you so much for linking the Cheeseboy Crackers here!

    I've never tried making Stollen because I don't like candied fruits but this recipe with the cherry pie filling sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful!! Cathy, my daughter and I have made the candy cane cookies you posted three times now... we Love them... thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have Stollen every Christmas and I absolutely love it - many people don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.