Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Once Upon a Time Recipes

 
Well, tomorrow is my birthday. An so I thought I'd share with you, my favorite pie recipe.  I love Lemon Meringue Pie!  I first learned to bake it when I was in 6th grade.  I was a challenge and one of those things I accomplished for which I am proud.  I remember how pleased Mom was with it.  And I especially remember how much Daddy liked it.  So without further adieu...



Lemon Meringue Pie


1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Dash salt
1 1/2 cups hot water
       * * *

3 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 9-inch baked pastry shell cooled
       * * *
Meringue (recipe to follow)


In sauce pan, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.  Gradually add hot water, stirring constantly.  Cook and stir over high heat till mixture comes to boiling.  Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Stir small amount hot mixture into egg yolks, then return to hot mixture.  Bring to boiling and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add butter and lemon peel.  Slowly add lemon juice, mixing well.  Pour into pastry shell.  Spread meringue over filling; seal to edge.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.  Cool before serving.

Meringue

3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar

Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar till soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy peaks from and all sugar is dissolved.  Spread meringue over hot filling.  Continue as above.

Note:  I use ready made pie crust in follow directions for baking on the package.

Maybe the reason I love this tasty pie so much is because it was my 1st attempt at baking and it was such a resounding success.


Humorous story about me and lemon meringue pie.  We had traveled from Indiana to Colorado  to visit family on our summer vacation.  It's a good two day trip and the kids were always such troopers, especially through the heat of Kansas.  When we got to Dad and Mom's house we were all pretty hot and tired.  Mom and Dad greeted us and we all unpacked the car and began to settle in.  I went to the kitchen to help with dinner and noticed two lemon meringue pies on the stove cooling.

"Wow," I said, "two pies."

Mom smiled and said, "Yes, one for us and the other for you!"

Thanks Mom!!!!  And...

~~~*~~~*~~***~~*~~~*~~~ 
Thanks be to God!!!


Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, 1973 Edition


Please share one of your baking success stories.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday dear gal. I almost did Lemon Meringue Pie. Now that was an old one in our family. How great to get to learn to cook that young. When we went to live with our grandparents, when I was 8, we had "Hired Help" who did all the cooking and housework. Blessings to you dear sista.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's wishing you a happy birthday. And this recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wonderful time of year to celebrate! Enjoy!

    My husband loves Lemon Meringue Pie too! Funny how you say you had success on your first try, I've attempted to make it a few times but failed miserably in the past. I'll copy and paste this and I may get enough courage to give it another try!
    Love and Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hau'oli la hanau! Many of God's best blessings to you now and always. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.