Monday, November 30, 2015

Michelangelo's David



Michelangelo sculpted the statue of David at the age of 26.  It was sculpted between the years 1501 and 1506.  Originally commissioned for the Cathedral of Florence, it was decided by a committee that the 14 foot statue was too perfect to place high in a cathedral.  After much discussion is was decided to place it in the Piazza della Signoria in front of the Palazzo Vecchio.  It is truly magnificent.  It is on exhibit in the Gallerie dell'Accademia in Florence.  The information about this statue and its history is better told by the curators of the museum itself.  


David was removed form the Piazza dello Signoria in 1853 to the Gallerie dell'Accademia to prevent further weathering.  This is a reproduction of Michelangelo's David in the Piazza della Signoria, the center of the Florentine Republic in the 14th century and continues to be today.  



And from the Piazzale Michelangelo, overlooking the city of Florence you will find a bronze reproduction of David.  It was hard to leave Florence.  There is so much more to say.
.  



View of Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo

We'll have to return here later in the week.  My goodness there is so much beauty in this city! I could have stayed there forever!  And the spaghetti and meatballs, Florentine lasagna and OH! the gelato was just out of this world!
Oh, and did I mention the wine?  Oh, my goodness!  It was just delicious.  I also had my first taste of pecorino cheese (cheese made from sheep's milk).  It was wonderful.
div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: center;">


~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

Cathy
Please visit Judith at Lavender Cottage for Mosaic Monday and share in the beauty offered there.



Mosaic Monday



I have found a new place to play and invite you to join Mersad at Through My Lens.  Should be fun!
And as an added treat perhaps stop by NC Sue's Image-in-ing.

15 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful images of the famous statues. The food, wine and sights sound awesome, a wonderful trip.
    Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely and interesting photos from Florence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures and a great memory of times in Italy. Thank you for sharing them with us Cathy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots, Cathy.
    Many years ago I went to the World's Fair in New York. The Pieta had been shipped over for the Fair. I was just a kid at the time, but I think it was the first I began to get a sense of what is meant by "holy" and "sacred". It was breathtaking. Michelangelo had such a gift for bringing stone to life.
    Thank you for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/11/sparkling-crystal.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your enthusiasm of Italy spills over into your post Cathy and you could make a person hungry with your description of the delicious foods you ate - and good wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting history of the David.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy what a beautiful post. I rejoice with you in your experience of Europe. I was involved with the original Shoot My Town years ago and then Mersad made a few changes. I know you will love that meme and I am gonna stop over there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Italy, and Florence/Tuscany are on my wish list! Just for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos and fascinating info about your travels!

    Have a magical week,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. We visited it last summer. Such a beautiful city! You images are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great shots of the David. I love Florence too! When we saw the David years ago, they wouldn't allow inside photography. I guess times have changed.

    I love your background for your blog! It's breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so amazing-this ability to find sheer beauty by taking away and reveling what lies within us all.
    cathy-i am celebrating 12 days of may love and would love to invite you to walk these days beside us. hope to have you join us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The David sculpture just took my breath away. I was surprised at the beauty. And you've captured that in your photos. What a privilege to see something so exquisite, isn't it?! Thank you for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I'd love to visit Florence someday. The architecture is beautiful and there is so much history everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.