Sunday, November 17, 2019

Once Again In Ireland







"The Giants Causeway is an area of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic fissure eruption.  It is located in County Antrim on the north coast of Northern Ireland about three miles northeast of the town of Bushmills."  (Wikipedia)





"According to legend, the columns are the remains of a causeway built by a giant.  The story goes that the Irish giant [Finn] MacCool accepted the challenge and built the causeway across the North Channel so that the two giants could meet.  In one version of the story [Finn] defeats Benandonner.  In another [Finn] hides from Benanadonner when he realizes that his foe is much bigger than he is.  [Finn's] wife Oonagh, disguises [Finn] as a baby and tucks him in a cradle.  When Benandonner sees the size of the 'baby', he reckons that its father, [Finn], must be a giant among giants.  He flees back to Scotland in fright, destroying the causeway behind him so that [Finn] would be unable to chase him down.  Across the sea, there are identical basalt columns (a part of the same ancient lava flow) at Fingal's Cave on the Scottish isle of Straffa and it is possible that the story was influenced by this." (Wikipedia)




Now that I've shared with you the legend and the geology in brief, I'd like to share my impression!  In a few words it was incredible, impressive, and awe inspiring.  It took my breath away.  Just witnessing the crashing of the waves, beating against the shore and seeing what the results of millions of years have done to sculpt this leaves one speechless!  Oh, to have been able to spend more time there.

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

Cathy


Please join me for Mosaic Mondayimage-in-ing, and Our World Tuesday.

20 comments:

  1. Fascinating composition - somehow I don't think of volcanoes in Ireland. I think of warmer climates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Ireland the land of my forefathers, I'd love to visit! Thanks for sharing Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy - your pictures of the causeway and surrounding area are fabulous. And I love the fable. Thanks for sharing with everyone at Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shared such wonders about Ireland today, thank you.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Cathy for sharing Ireland's Giant's Causeway story and beauty.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, thank for sharing the Giant's Causeway story. Your photos are wonderful. I would love to visit Ireland. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing coasts & rocks of Ireland! I wish I could sometimes see them personally. Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the awe-inspiring nature and the story. Your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your images if Ireland are so beautiful. It's a place I'd like to see someday. Thank you for sharing and hosting too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos really show the beauty and make us all wish we could visit there! Beautiful! A sight I've never seen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those columns are amazing. A section in Eastern Washing has many many sinilar basalt colums but not with such an interesting story. excellent images
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. The basalt columns are amazing. I've a bit of Irish in my and it shows in the red tint to my hair. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful it's kind of magical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although I have been to Ireland a couple of times I have never been to the Giant's Causeway. There's just so much to see and to do in North and South that it was not possible to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was there for the first time in September and enjoyed every minute of my visit. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for the photos and the story that accompanies them. Much appreciated.

    God bless, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fascinating!
    Thanks, Cathy, for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/11/urp.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Ireland ... thank you so much for this wonderful Post. I enjoyed it to read. By the way, I was four times there. It was always a great pleasure.

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  19. So amazing ..Magical to see. I love to read the fables passed along that helped people “understand” the unexplainable. Easier to understand that story than to nderstand the power of erosion (and more fun ;)j).

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.