Saturday, July 11, 2020

Chatannooga on the Tennesee River

A couple of years ago we spent some time with a friend in the city of Chattanooga, Tennesee.  I was reminded of the day we spent there when we stopped by to see her again a couple of weeks ago on our way home from visiting our son and family in Geogia.  Acturally, being in Chattanooga can be a challenge as it is a city that sits on the borders of 3 state, Tennesee, Georgia and Alabama.  Just when you think  you are in one you are in another.  That's the way the highway system works. 
View of Chattanooga across the Tennesee River

Walnut Street Bridge

The Walnut Street Bridge was built in 1890 and was the first to connect downtown Chattanooga to North Chattanooga.  The Brige is historicallry significant as an extremely long and examply of its type.  According to the Historic American Engineering Record:  "the Bridge was apparently the first non-military highway bridge across the Tennesee River. [Wikipedia]
Bridges across the Tennesee River


And so it is that I have have grand memories of a time well spent in this beautiful city.  It is to our friend, Chica, that I am grateful for that delightful day!

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

Cathy


Please join me for Mosaic Mondayimage-in-ing, and Our World Tuesday.

25 comments:

  1. Hello, pretty view of the river and bridges. Happy memories and great photos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures! It was my grandparents' honeymoon destination over a hundred years ago, traveling by train from mid-Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having grown up in Alabama, I have been to Chattanooga many times. It is a weird place to drive around in. Like you say, you never know what state you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precioso reportaje, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos. Saludos desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful views and great memories.

    God bless, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy - my husband and I spent some time in Chattanooga a few years back, and I share your pleasant memories. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, and enjoy the upcoming week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...my only memory of Chattanooga was back in the '60s trying to fly into Athens Georgia and all the airports were socked in with fog. The plane landed in Chattanooga and we took a bus to Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect, beautiful dsy...and spending it with loved ones & clise friend(s) makes it more so. Fantastic pictures. I do have a question ...is the 1890s bridge still used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Wikipedia it is the same bridge. It was closed to auto traffic in 1978 and was left in disuse and disrepair for more that ten years. It was reopened in 1990. Thank you for asking. It was an amazing walk over the river.

      Delete
  9. I visited Chattanooga about 20 years ago. We aren't that far away really, now that is. But I did not know that about the bridge, very cool.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chattanooga is a wonderful place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a beautiful old wooden bridge. Thank you for sharing. Many, many years ago, living in Munich nearby such a similiar old wooden bridge. Rememberings ...

    Stay healthy... Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely mosaics, those clouds are gorgeous. Happy Monday

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful city in our country. I've spent time there too and there's so much to see! Love your photos of that big wide river!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous photos, Cathy!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/07/sunflowers-beauty-on-stem.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to ask. Did you see and ride on the Chattanooga Choo Choo?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice memories in pictures. Don't know if it's the same place but I can't help thinking of the famous old song recorded by Glenn Miller: "Pardon me boy, is that the Chattanooga Choo Choo?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful and wonderful photos ~ ^_^

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful place with river and bridge...lovely city

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such fabulous photos of the river and bridge!

    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't get the song out of my head now. At least I have some photos to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. o my, your post made me think of the old song, chattanooga choo choo. It suits your images perfectly, I found it on youtube :)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.