Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Once Upon A Time Recipes

There is always that special recipe that brings back wonderful memories of family gatherings and grand times spent together.  Christmas is one of those times when memories flood back for me.
What about your?

The recipe I offer today is one that Ron's family has shared since they were small children.  And so it was on that special "cookie baking Sunday" that we all did our part to make these fun cookies.



Wes, Laura, David and Ron
having a wonderful time baking  together.
Burlingame, CA, 1973

Candy Cane Cookies

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
Crushed peppermint candy (optional)

Cream margarine and shortening.  Add sugar and egg.  Add dry ingredients.  Divide dough in half, color half with red food coloring.

Use 1/2 teaspoon of each color, roll and twist colored and uncolored dough then lay the cookie on an ungreased baking sheet, shape like candy cane.  Top with crushed peppermint candy if desired.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 9 minutes or until set and very light brown.  Makes 4 dozen.

If you wish you can also use green food coloring and twist the dough into wreaths.

 It was such fun baking and watching the little ones eye as they watched the cookies come off the cookie sheet.  They were so careful not to break the Candy Cane.

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!


If you have a recipe your family enjoys traditionally every year, please link below so we can all share in the the excitement and try your recipe this year!!

6 comments:

  1. OH MY...IT BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF MY MOTHER'S CHRISTMAS BAKE.SHE WAS AN EXCELLENT BAKER.

    LUV THE BLOG BACKGROUND.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your cookie recipe! My mother-in-law was the one that always baked tons of cookies at Christmastime.
    I'm going to try and find her recipe for her Swedish Pepparkakor (gingersnaps) and I'll post and link tomorrow (if Blogger cooperates! I've been having trouble again!)
    Love and Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh may what a wonderful sounding recipe and I love the picture. I forgot the recipe when I did my post for today.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I baked cookies with my children every year, too, Cathy! We used to make a large gingerbread man for each on of their classmates :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, they look lovely. I love the photo too. It conveys such a warm, happy time.
    Wonderful memories are made in the most ordinary ways. Sharing, food, time, love, together as a family.
    Thank you for inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy, we make these candy cane cookies every year, my kids love them. Maybe this year we will try your wreath idea as well, that sounds neat.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.