Thursday, July 10, 2008

Off to Visit Mom...

My Mom


Will be leaving Saturday to visit Mom, Phil, Deb and Megan in MT for a few days. As a result I'm posting today as I will be busy getting organized...

I am still amazed how I am guided to appropriate offerings for this post. I am reminded of my mother and how we were taught. Many evenings while helping with the dishes. I remember her patience when she would remind us that one does not end a sentence with a preposition. (Question: "Where is the milk at?" Answer: "Behind the 'at'") Spelling was a game we would play and Scrabble, the ultimate game and time with Mom, was played with vigor and intensity.

I want to leave you with the reflection from Praying With Saint Paul, edited by Father Peter John Cameron, O.P.

A Mother's "Word-Box"

"And [Christ] gave [...] teachers, to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ, so that we may no loner be infants,tossed by waves and swept along by every wind of teaching arising from human trickery, from their cunning in the interests of deceitful scheming."
~Ephesians 4:11-14~

I had always considered by sister-in-law toe an outstanding Christian mother, lovingly attentive to the needs of her children. On day I noticed something that helped me to understand a deeper dimension of the vocation of motherhood. as her elder daughter was soon approaching school age, my sister-in-law decided to begin teaching her reading and vocabulary skills. Not willing to allow the television to do such important work, this loving and attentive mother developed her won word game (she called it the "word-box.")

In his 1988 encyclical letter Mulieris dignitatum, Pope John Paul II described the uniqueness of the vocation of the mother as one who "is filled with wonder at this mystery of life and understands with unique intuition what is happening inside her." Indeed, my sister-in-law was responding to the graces of Christ in nourishing and educating her children, ever attentive to their particular needs.

Saint Paul reminds us that Christ gives his holy one the graces to build up his Body, the Church. When we participate in the building up of the spiritual edifice which is the Church, we are preserved from the emptiness that the world offers. When parents respond to the graces of their vocation, their children grow in knowledge and love so that they can resist worldly deceptions. My sister-in-law was building up both her own family and the whole Body of Christ in knowledge and love.

~~~~~~~

Lord Jesus, giver of the gift of motherhood, grant that all mothers may respond to your wondrous graces as they care for their children.

And so, dear mothers and friends, I leave you for several days to ponder, pray, and give thanks for your gifts of motherhood. Christ has indeed blessed us with his graces in so many ways. And you have all blessed me! Indeed, I thank you!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!



11 comments:

  1. Have a great trip and enjoy yourself. I am taking my laptop to the Gulf so I will try to keep in touch and post some pics.
    love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blessed trip!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time.
    And thanks for sharing these words on motherhood

    :)
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that I respond and act on these graces of my vocation. Thanks for sharing these words.
    Have a blessed time with your family members!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your time away Cathy:)We will miss you.

    Peace to you:)

    Marie xooxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet picture of your Mom. I hope you have a wonderful visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, such a wonderful reflection. &*:o) I hope you have a wonderful visit with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a love-hate relationship with my mother :D I wonder if it will get better as we both grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mothers will be mothers, Joy. Some things never change...just ask my children.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.