Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Friend of the Soul


I have been trying to find a way to explain what the process of becoming an Associate of the Sisters of Providence is like and having a companion on the journey. Now I have only been on this journey for a short 4 weeks. This morning, however, I have found the most beautiful answer. The journey is made with a companion, a friend, who will journey and share the process with you. She will guide and advise.

My answer came in the the guise of a book suggested to me some months ago by Ann at Prayer, Poetry and Praise. But of course I only just picked it up to read it. So, if you will allow him, John O'Donohue will explain in the most beautiful of words what a "companion" is.

In Celtic tradition, there is a beautiful understanding of love and friendship. One of the fascinating ideas here is the idea of soul-love; the old Gaelic term for this is anam cara. Anam is the Gaelic word for soul and cara is the word for friend. So anam cara in the Celtic world was the "soul friend." In the early Celtic church, person who acted as a teacher, companion, or spiritual guide was called an anam cara. It originally referred to someone to whom you confess, revealing the hidden intimacies of your life. ...This friendship was an act of recognition and belonging. When you had an anam cara your friendship cut across all convention, morality, and category. You were joined in the ancient and eternal way with the "friend of your soul."

In everyone's life, there is great need for an anam cara, a soul friend. In this love, you are understood and you are without mask or pretension. The superficial and functional lies and half-truths of social acquaintance fall away, you can be as you really are. Love allows understanding to dawn, and understanding is precious. Where you are understood, you are at home. Anam Cara, A Book of Celtic Wisdom, by John O'Donohue, pg. 13-14.
Sister Dorothy has been my anam cara for a long time. But now there is a beautiful way of expressing it. Let it also be said that I find that after 40 years I can call Ron, my anam cara. For he was that before those who were to follow. I can say that my life has been blessed with a number of anam cara, but until today I had not had it so beautifully expressed to me.

So, to Ann I say thank you! Now that I have begun the book, I will surely finish it. To everyone, I wish you all the love of your anam cara.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Thanks be to God!

(My friend above is fondly named Father Thomas Daniel)

4 comments:

  1. wow..that is truely beautiful. I too have a special friend like that. She goes to my chruch & she is a God sent!! I'm so happy that you too have someone special in your life. We all need that. :) Be Blessed!!!!!

    Ps...thank you so much for the award you gave me a few posts back :) I finally was able to post it today. :) I also left you something too on that post. stop by for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, Thank you! I'm delighted that you've got started - it's a brilliant book, and only last night I highlighted a short excerpt for returning to later.

    Having someone with whom we can be our true selves makes all the difference - I'm glad you have been blessed with more than one anam cara.

    God is a great provider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Great Grandmother was Irish and only spoke Gaelic...Unfortunately I never got to meet her as she died relatively young in her 50's same as my own mother.

    I love this expression and would LOVE to read that book.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful post with us all:).

    Peace, JOY & Love to you:)

    Marie oxxoxooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful description.
    There are many "soul friends" I have found along the way.
    Every one special, every one cherished.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.