Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Training of Children, Job Description

The Keller Kids

I never fail to be surprised when I have been lead to a reflection. One that draws on so many memories, that there just doesn't seem to be enough time to take it all in. My children have been and still are a tremendous source of pride. I am surprised this time by a quote by Bishop Fulton Sheen.

Home life is the God-appointed training ground of human character, for from the home life of the child springs the maturity of manhood, either for good or for evil.
The Quotable Fulton Sheen

What is he saying? What he says to me is most important. My children have been given to me for the purpose of bringing them home to the Father. I have been charged with the training of these "special deliveries." Their father and I are charged with their care, nurturing and training. We are to be guides in the path of right and wrong.

These children are treasures! They have given us at times disappointment, anxiety, happiness, and joy. They are a never ending source of growth for me. They have brought me to maturity. I can only hope that the path we have traveled will bring us all to the same generous, compassionate, loving Father.

Now I have grandchildren. They, too are a source of pride and joy. But this time, I can only counsel, not mold or teach...Oh, my how difficult it is for me to keep my observations to myself sometimes. But step back I must for I am not the MOTHER this time.

I know you all have similar stories. Take time to reflect on those memories. They can be fulfilling. They may cause us to regret decisions we have made in the past. But if we can REALLY reflect on those times I truly believe you will be aware of the Holy Spirit's guidance. Though things don't always work out for us and our children the way we'd like, I know the source of strength of parenthood comes straight from the Wisdom of the Spirit!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!





Please visit NC Sue at IN HIM WE LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE OUR BEING. She has a wonderful story about a "Cracked Pot." It is grand!!!

8 comments:

  1. This was very good reading for me as I am in that transition from mom to mother-in-law and grandma. I appreciate that you took the time to put it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture, beautiful family and your heart and honesty shows just how much you have been guided by the holdy spirt. Faith is a wonderful thing my friend, you are blessed.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reflection is so true and something all God loving mothers and grandmothers are praying for most earnestly, that our loved ones are being guided to their true home in Heaven.

    blessings on you always,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so true what you say about children leading us to maturity, Cathy. Raising children deepens our reliance on God, and helps us surrender everything into His hands more completely. Beautiful post, and a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so beautiful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How blessed you are ~ and how blessed is your family, Cathy. (What a gorgeous bunch of people you brought into the world, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful post! I love the quote, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post! full of truth and raw beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.