Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Memorial Day Poem


A Memorial Day Poem

by C W Johnson


We walked among the crosses

Where our fallen soldiers lay.

And listened to the bugle
As TAPS began to play.

The Chaplin led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,

Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore





~~~~~~~
***
~~~~~~~

Thanks be to God!



6 comments:

  1. This is a poignant poem that does honor to Memorial Day and does my heart good as well, especially having been an Army wife for so many years.

    blessings,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful . . . my father is retired military and so I always have the most respect for our men in uniform.

    Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful, cathy. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute dear one! Thank you always for your visits and comments. I hope you had a fun time in pink! Blessings, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was beautiful.
    Both my father and father-in-law and my uncle served in WWII (my father-in-law lost his leg in France, he was sweeping for mines), my brother served in Viet Nam, and I have three nephews that served in Iraq, one is having lots of problems adjusting to life back home.
    I'm grateful for people such as yourself who honor this day and honor our heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My late husband was air force and when I read your poem I felt the tears come to my eyes. It's the right thing to do; give thanks and remember no matter where one lives, thank you .....:-) Bernie

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.