Saturday, May 30, 2009

Monastic Cell of the Heart



Build yourself a cell in your heart, and retire there to pray. ~Saint Catherine of Siena~

I was personally bowled over by this quote. I struggle with prayer. Have for as long as I can remember. Disappointment, anger and sorrow are words I would use to describe how I feel about my prayer life.

I can't be quiet! How do you do that? I'm a babbling brook!!! Words running helter skelter through my mind. In conversations with friends I am even uncomfortable with "quiet pauses." I wonder if God "turns the volume down" when I start to communicate with him. Me doing all the talking.
.
Centering prayer is a time before prayer to allow focus. Sometimes that works for me and at other times I might as well turn on the radio and listen to the Beach Boys for all the good it does.

As I travel the Road to Providence I am certainly now more aware of His hand in my life. And even in my prayer life, I must give him credit. And why not, for he is the creator of ALL things.

Example, this week. I called my brother, Tom, to work out dates for our visit the end of the summer to see him and Kathleen. As we chatted he mentioned that Kathleen's mother was in the hospital with some serious heart problems and so Kathleen was away. For no particular reason that I can see, I had added Kathleen's mother to my prayers this week.

Two things struck me after I hung up the phone. First, I was called to visit Tom in his "aloneness." He was anticipating Kathleen's return, and was able to share with another his story. Second, the call to pray for Kathleen's mother obviously came from the Holy Spirit, and even though I didn't realize it at the time I was listening! [YES!] The God of Providence again made inroads into my "cell."

I am glad I was reminded of my "cell" today. I will reflect upon its use. And maybe I will be reminded to spend more time THERE when I pray!!!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!!!


Monastic cell at Convento de La Santa Cruz, Queretaro
Originally uploaded by schechter02

10 comments:

  1. thank you for this honest and though-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that prayer does not necessarily have to be a long thing.

    Yes, I will sit and say a rosary or meditate over somethng I've read. I will say litanies.

    But sometimes, it's just a quick prayer.

    I say one when I pass an accident - Watch over them Lord. Help anyone who is injured.

    Or when I see something beautiful - Thank you Lord for that sunset...that bird's song ... that child's laugh.

    Or when an unkind word or a sinful thought pops into my head - Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

    Or I'm driving I will start to sing a song that we are singing with the choir or Rock of Faith band this week (wondering if other drivers are staring at me!)

    Or as I shovel snow - Thank you Lord that I still have the strength to do this.

    Or as I'm about to teach, or do something difficult - Lord, be with me. Guide what I say.

    Or as I'm washing the dishes, a quick thought of someone in need, or in gratitude.

    Prayer can be spontaneous throughout the day.

    Now if only I could remember to do it myself more often! (Lord, help me to pray more.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading up on Centering Prayer lately too, but I think any prayer, even the hurried pleas and thank-You's offered to God throughout our days are very meaningful prayers. I think the good we do for others is a prayer. I think any and all forms of prayer are acceptable to God just as all forms of people are, but that doesn't mean we can't strive to have a more meaningful prayer life. I think whatever means brings us to form a stronger bond with God is a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is our Lord's advice on prayer...go into your inner room, and close the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness!!! Thank you all for your generosity!!! You are all so grand!!! Another gift from the Spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Cathy,
    I sure know where you are coming from about prayer; when my mom died, I couldn't pray anymore. Then, silence set in...but I think God allows us mortals to experience these deserts to help us know just how merciful and BIG He is...just a thought. Thank you for always having a spiritual message for us. God bless, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a terrific sharing...just loved it, Cathy.

    My mind is WAY too busy too, especially at times during Mass, but a priest once said to pray about the thing that is distracting you and then redirect your attention.

    I like the idea of the cell within ourselves, but I am seriously thnking of making an area of my home (a specific chair in my bedroom) just for prayer.

    It was my goal to do a rosary a day during May and right now I am 3rosaries behind, BUT until today I was 6 rosaries behind, so I listen to my angel, not the devil, and I keep on keeping on till I get it done!

    blessings,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in the middle of a post, decided to take a break and visit, and you were writing about something I have been struggling with this entire month.

    So, thank you for sharing, and if you don't mind, I borrowed your Catherine of Siena quote and referenced you.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a time that I to struggled with prayer but I realize a prayer is conversation with God, it can be one word, "help" or five words "hide me in your wounds" I believe all prayers are heard but when I manage to stop the chatter in my mind and be quiet then I am able to hear "him". Have a wonderful day my friend.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely post and an encouragement to get into the quiet place :)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.