Monday, November 30, 2009

Wisdom of G. K. Chesterton


Every year I take it out again and start all over. This is a good thing. There are some traditions that are new. This one started 3 years ago when my dear friend Martha gave me the book, Advent and Christmas, Wisdom from G. K. Chesterton, edited by The Center for the Study of C. S. Lewis and Friends and published by Liguori Press. Over the years I think we've forgotten that preparation for Christmas is a time for serious reflection on the life of Christ and how our journey with Him is progressing. We are so bedazzled by the glitz of the season and all that it entails that we forget that this is the beginning of our salvation history in Christ Jesus. Today I would offer this for reflection.

The Gift of Hope

It is currently said that hope goes with youth, and lends to youth its wings of a butterfly; but I fancy that hope is the last gift given to man, and the only gift not given to youth. Youth is pre-eminently the period in which a man can be lyric, fanatical, poetic, but youth is the period in which a man can be hopeless. the end of every episode is the end of the world. But the power of hoping through everything, the knowledge that the soul survives its adventures, that great inspiration comes to the middle-aged; God has kept that good wine until now. It is from the backs of the elderly gentlemen that the wings of the butterfly should burst.
Charles Dickens: Last of the Great Men

Hope in the Gospel
In our prayers for you we always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for your in heaven. You have heard of this hope before in the word of the truth, the gospel that has come to you. Just as it is bearing fruit among yourselves from the day you heard it and truly comprehended the grace of God. ~Colossians 1:3-6

Prayer
God of hop, Give of hope, help us in our hopeless moments. Turn our hearts and minds to promise of the gospel, to your dear Son, Jesus Christ. Strengthen our faith in what we have heard. Especially in our troubles, remind us of our true home with you in heaven. Help us to hope for eternal life with you.

Advent Action
Make a list of the things you are currently hoping for. This may include advancement in your career, the success of an important relationship, the completion of a project, or any number of things. When you have finished the list, look over it. Circle one item and say a brief prayer for God's help in bringing this about. If praying feels uncomfortable, consider whether the time you have chosen is something you should hope for. Ask God for clarity. Resolve to hope for those things that bring you closest to God.

And so it is that I begin, again, to hope that this season will bring me a new awareness of my role in the work of salvation? I will make that list. I will circle the one that I hope can be accomplished. Then I will pray that, by the grace of Almighty God, it can be accomplished.

What is your hope today?

*
*~*
*~*~*
*~*~*~*
\_/

Thanks be to God!!!


10 comments:

  1. Advent... a good time to reflect and have a new start. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending out hope and prayers to all our marines being deployed soon to Afghanistan (and other servicemen and women, too of course) --

    (Love GKC, Cathy. I've GOT to get this book!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love coming here to visit Cathy, the soft music and your wonderful words of wisdom are so refreshing....thank you....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post and very pretty blog!

    I agree with the sentiments, I think the young do dramatize and feel like everything is the end of the world, I do think it is the older generation that is more hopeful, and the funny thing is, I think a lot of our hope is for our younger generation, and a lot of our hope lies in the younger generation.
    I also agree about praying for something that just doesn't feel right, if it doesn't feel right to pray about it, maybe it's something that shouldn't be endeavored.

    My hope is Peace, and my hope is for the unborn innocents that a miraculous change of heart occurs for them. I read recently that a poll found that it is the younger generation that values life more than the older generation.
    So there is hope.

    Beautiful post, Cathy.
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a luvely entry...and I do so luv Chesterton...I must search EBAY for this book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovley post to reflect on Cathy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful (and logical) idea! I know that when I sometimes pray for something that I am hoping for, I will get that gnawing feeling of "this isn't right". Making a list is an excellent suggestion.

    I love your blog, Cathy. And I love all the work that you put into it to spread the Good News to all who come here.

    Blessings,
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome. thanks for sharing the book.

    I have a list that I pray every day, sometimes several times a day. I'm no stranger to asking God for the blessings I'm hoping for!!

    my tradition most years is to get out Dickens' A Christmas Carol and reread it....so far I've been to busy preparing for Advent...sigh. hope to finish my preparing this week and get about the business of enjoying Advent!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ran across that book at our locla Catholic bookstore a few weeks back. I've been enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hоwdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own
    a similar one and i wаs just curiouѕ if you get
    a lot of spam сomments? If so how do you prοtect against
    it, any plugin οr anything you can ѕuggeѕt?
    I get so much lаtely it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

    Also visit my web page :: toy

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.